On the last day of this year’s BM post under Special Theme I have Patra nu Paneer.
One of the popular dishes of Parsi’s is Paatra ne Macchi , which is marinated and steamed in banana leaves. I substituted paneer for fish ! It was after a long thought process that I decided on this dish . I made this for a Parsi Spread for the Protein Rich Mega Marathon .Seriously , the paneer came out awesome . I must admit this cuisine has amazing flavours and it was rather interesting to substitute sea food to vegetarian food .
A few points which are very important for a good Patru nu Paneer
1. The paneer should be fresh and soft .I would prefer home made paneer .
2. Cut the paneer into big rectangles , but not very thick pieces .
3. Check test the chutney , it should be spicy , mind you the paneer is bland .
4. Marinate the paneer for a minimum hour for the flavours to infuse .
5. Serve hot !
If you follow all these points the paneer would be a total hit . The last point being very very important . If the paneer is not hot , it will become hard and loose it’s texture and softness .
If you do not get banana leaves you could wrap these in foil too .
Paatra nu Paneer
1 kg paneer
Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 tsp salt
1 coconut , grated
6 green chillies
50 gms coriander leaves
1 tbsp mint leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
Cut the paneer into big rectangular pieces.
Blend the chutney to a smooth paste.
Marinate the paneer with this Chutney for an hour.
Wrap the paneer rectangles into individual banana leaves, tie securely with a string .
Steam for 10-15 minuets .
Paatra nu Paneer
- 1 kg paneer
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 coconut grated
- 6 green chillies
- 50 leaves gms coriander
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Cut the paneer into big rectangular pieces.
- Blend the chutney to a smooth paste.
- Marinate the paneer with this Chutney for an hour.
- Wrap the paneer rectangles into individual banana leaves, tie securely with a string .
- Steam for 10-15 minuets .